In order to keep your pet safe and healthy, you want to ensure that they have access to the best care possible. In the event of an accident or sickness, pet owners are often faced with the dilemma between wanting to give their pet the most optimal treatment and the enormous medical bills that follow suit.
Yet, as a pet parent, you should never have to choose between taking care of your family and whether or not you can afford the treatment. That’s why it’s incredibly important for you to find pet insurance coverage that is right for you and your pet’s needs.
Pet insurance is becoming increasingly necessary as the cost of veterinary and medical bills are on the rise. So, if you own a pet and need to obtain coverage, we’re going to tell you everything you need to know about pet insurance. We will also discuss how here at Fursure, we can help guide you through the process of finding the best and most affordable options.
Here are a few topics we are going to cover:
- What is Pet Insurance?
- What Does Pet Insurance Cover?
- What Are My Pet Coverage Options?
- How Much Does Pet Insurance Cost?
- Where Can I Get Pet Insurance?
- Why Choose Fursure As Your Pet Insurance Guru
What is Pet Insurance?
Pet insurance is simply health care for your furry friend. Just like your human health insurance covers you in the case of an accident, sickness or necessary wellness check ups – your pet’s insurance will work in a pretty similar manner.
This is how pet insurance works:
- You’ll set up your insurance plan
- Bring your pet to the vet whether they need a check up, had an accident or are sick.
- Pay for your pet’s treatment
- Submit the claim to your insurance provider
- Get reimbursed for the covered treatments
Notice how it works just like your own health insurance? If you can do it for yourself, you can easily do it for your pet.
With a quality pet insurance plan, you can go to the veterinarian with confidence. Knowing that your plan will incur a portion of the medical costs, you’ll be able to get your pet the attention they need without the daunting monetary surprises.
Pet insurance covers a range of animals. While the majority of insurance options will focus on dogs and cats, you can also easily find a coverage plan for your pet species whether that be a bird, rabbit or snake.
Here are a few key factors to note about pet insurance:
- Your plan will be customized to your pet. This includes their breed, age, any existing health issues or conditions they may have.
- Chronic conditions, disease or allergies can be covered.
- If you have more than one pet, you can obtain insurance for each. Many providers offer a multi-pet discount (usually 5% or 10%).
Now that you have a general idea of how pet insurance works, let’s dig deeper to understand what it covers, how much it costs and what options are available for your pet.
What Does Pet Insurance Cover?
Pet insurance can be broken down into two main categories: accidents and illnesses. Let’s discuss each one in depth and what the coverage will include.
Accidents for your pet include, but are not limited to:
- Getting hit by a car
- Swallowing a rock or stick or sock (foreign object ingestion)
- Breaking a bone or cruciate ligament injuries (ACL)
- Eating something toxic/getting poisoned
- Being attacked by another animal
Pet insurance coverage for accidents usually includes:
- Blood work
Illnesses that could occur for your pet include, but are not limited to:
- Cancer (40% of dogs and 20% of cats get cancer)
- Skin Conditions
- Kidney Disease
- Ear infections
- Digestive problems
- Urinary Tract Infections
Coverage for illnesses will often include:
- Full congenital and hereditary coverage including breed specific illnesses like hip dysplasia
- Cost of major and minor illnesses – exams, x-rays, surgery, etc.
An additional category that some, but not all providers, will cover is wellness. This includes procedures such as:
- Veterinary expenses
- Annual exams, Flea/Tick and Heartworm Medication
- Shots / Vaccinations
- Teeth Cleaning
- Spay / Neuter
As you can see, pet insurance covers several important pillars of your pet’s health. While your pet may be healthy now, there’s always the possibility of an accident occurring or illness occurring later in life. When such a situation arises, it will give you peace of mind to be prepared and know that your pet is covered.
How Much Does Pet Insurance Cost?
Fun Fact: All pet insurance providers offer a 30 day free trial of their coverage program. With such a low barrier, you can get started right away and research which provider is the best fit for your family. As long as you don’t submit a claim, you can get a full refund if you cancel.
Did you know that vet bills can be incredibly expensive without pet insurance? To give you a few examples, here are a few standard prices for procedures related to accidents and illnesses:
- If your pet swallows a foreign object it could cost you $3000
- They tear their ACL? $5400
- Or, potentially become sick with cancer – $9000
As you can see, those prices are astronomical and surprising for many pet owners who forgo purchasing insurance. So, instead of being overwhelmed by the cost of caring for your pet – let’s look at how much you’ll spend by planning ahead and purchasing a pet insurance plan.
According to Value Penguin, these are the current facts and figures regarding the average cost of pet insurance in 2020:
“The average monthly cost of pet insurance is $47.20 for dogs and $29.54 for cats. These are for plans that cover both accidents and illnesses. The range of average pet insurance for dogs is $25 to $70 and $10 to $40 for cats.”
They also note that the premium you will pay varies and can be as little as $10 or higher than $100. They say that pet owners can expect to pay between $30 to $50 per month if they have a plan with decent coverage.
It’s important to note that the cost of your pet insurance will be determined by your pet’s:
- Where you live
- The Coverage package you choose
Pet insurance is higher for dogs, averaging at about 60% more expensive than for cats. You can also expect to pay more for an older or larger pet. Therefore, it’s best to get your pet set up with insurance immediately when they are young and in good health in order to avoid higher rates.
Additionally, no current pet insurance options will cover pre-existing conditions. Unless the vet record says a pre-existing condition has resolved itself or no symptoms have occurred in 180 days or up to 1 year depending on the provider – you can assume that any procedure prices will need to come out of your own pocket.
Yet, if you purchase insurance as soon as possible, you can obtain coverage for your pet before pre-existing conditions have a chance to happen and develop. In short, the sooner you purchase pet insurance, the longer the coverage for your pet and the less likelihood that you’ll incur the stress of expensive medical bills.
Ultimately, the individual price you pay for your pet’s coverage will be based on the deductible, annual max and reimbursement level. The best way to select a plan is to compare options and prices with one of our pet insurance gurus at Fursure.
Why Choose Fursure As Your Pet Insurance Guru
At Fursure, we believe that buying pet insurance shouldn’t be expensive, confusing or time consuming. Our mission is to make it easy for you to find the insurance plan that fits your pet needs, get coverage quickly and avoid the stress of expensive medical bills and procedures.
Consider us your new pet insurance guru. We know how painful researching pet insurance can be. Hours and hours of endless searching, looking for a provider that offers the perfect balance of coverage and affordable pricing – it’s exhausting.
Instead of wasting your precious time, pass the tough research over to us. We’ll handle the comparison of available options and guide you through every step of the process.
Our services are personalized, fast and easy to use. Here’s how it works:
- Start by scheduling a free call with us. We will go over all the details about your pet and what type of insurance you’re looking for.
- We’ll then match you to the best plan and create a recommendation based on your pet’s breed, age, lifestyle and your budget.
- Once you select your plan, we’ll get you set up with your provider to make sure your pet is covered for the future.
Made by pet parents, for pet parents, our Fursure pet insurance gurus are here to make your life easier. So, you can spend less time researching boring insurance plans and spend more time with that lovable, furry friend of yours.
Sign up today to schedule your free consultation with our Fursure team.